Monday 7 January 2013

A Day From The Past

26th January 2001 8:46 AM


It was Republic Day... A holiday... As all holidays I was sleeping peacefully with kitchen sounds in my background and I feel  my bed moving,  I think it is my mom trying to wake me up and I beg her to sleep for a few more minutes. Then I hear my Mom shouting...........

25th January 2001 - Sometime in the evening


I was in 7th Standard that time so say I was about 11 years old that time.. As my usual routine, time I reach home from school and quickly grab something to eat while my Mom as always keeps asking questions about what I did in school? And since exams were approaching or they had just finished I don't exactly remember but her questions were harder to answer then usual.

Anyways so I try to finish my evening snack as quickly as I can to avoid more questions plus since it was the winter I didn't get much time to play in the evening if I was late because it gets dark early. So I finish my snack and just bolt to the ground, not that I was much of a sports guy just that it used to be fun or at least looking back now it seems fun. We had a large ground so we used to play pretty much everything Cricket, Football, Volley ball, trying to look cool when the girls are watching... yeah that was a game too and every guy always lost. So we used to play, I wasn't a really bad player but I pretty much sucked at every game. I was one of those guys who used to get picked just before the that fat kid.

So we finished playing and we all guys were like hanging out poking fun at each other and pulling each others leg teasing them with some random chick.. yeah that was the in thing to do that time, and the poor guy used to turn pink or blue depending upon the situation or how bad the prank was. And we start talking about the Republic Day celebrations. I never used to attend those, till date I am not sure if my school even had Republic Day celebrations since I have never been to one I have heard rumours though. But we had it in our neighbour hood, I join in the conversation knowing full well that I won't be there  but since everyone was talking I joined in nodding my head every time I was asked something. Probably they were just talking about the free food they will get.

So finally I bid adieu to my friends and start walking home, as I reach I dread the sight of it, my Mom is standing in the balcony looking down on the road which means.... I am late. So I climb the stairs even more slowly just to avoid the shouting I was going get for a little longer. Its like an addiction of alcohol or smoking, you know you are going to die but you still have to do it. So I am there I don't remember what did she said to me mostly because I didn't listen half the time.(I do now).. Later part of the evening was pretty dull Dad came home so I became the best kid in the world, I still didn't do my homework though, I never did, I never understood why but I just never did. So I had dinner watched some TV and slept. Like any other day. Oblivious to the fact that tomorrow will be so different.....

26th January 2001 8:46 AM

It was Republic Day... A holiday... As all holidays I was sleeping peacefully with kitchen sounds in my background and I feel  my bed moving,  I think it is my mom trying to wake me up and I beg her to sleep for a few more minutes. Then I hear my Mom shouting...........

"Beta Bhag Bhukamp."(Run Son its an Earthquake)
To be Continuied

Fake Citizen

No comments:

Post a Comment